Friday, September 6, 2013

Back to School

Labor Day weekend is the end to a carefree summer of fun. On Sunday, the boys and I packed and prepped for our first day of school on Tuesday.

It is always a bittersweet time for our family. The transition back to school is tough on my family.  I move from stay-at-home mom to full-time working mom.  The boys have to adjust to a regimented schedule and schoolwork once again.

I love my work, both at home and school, but the burden of responsibility is often a weighty yoke.  I have vowed this year to better balance my work and home energies.  I want to influence my students positively but without the cost being my own young men.

My goal is lofty.  I will need several factors to improve to see the level of success I desire.  My first line of attack is to arrange a bi-monthly house cleaner.  I have struggled over having the energy and organizational talent necessary to uphold the quality of cleanliness that makes me feel comfortable. I live in a small farmhouse surrounded by dirt and dust.  It is a full time job beating back the impurities that mar my little home.  I decide to take action in asking for help.  God sent me to a fine lady who believes her mission is helping others by cleaning their homes.  She scrubs, changes sheets, vacuums and dusts.  Our home is a sanctuary after long hours away doing my own missions work at the public school.

The second arm of my plan is organization and planning at school.  I preach daily about the wise use of time.  I teach these of a daily planner, long-term goal calendar and the all-mighty Post-It note.  Now the teacher/preacher must DO.  I printed a year long calendar by months off my computer using WORD.  Then I checked my online IEP platform to list the due dates.  Placing them on my calendar a week in advance with phone numbers and emails if listed, would hopefully help me arrange meetings well in advance on the impending annual review dates.

Next, I created an email list of all my student's parents and guardians so I could send information out quickly.  I also created a list of just my senior students as they will need different emails forwarded or sent to them.

I also needed labels printed so I could send all my original paperwork to our local consortium for review and audit.  I again had to ask for help.  A sweet secretary in our office offered to simple print them for me when I asked her for guidance.  So armed with my labels, housekeeper, and calendar I am hopeful that I will be an effective teacher and a wise, sweet Momma as well.

My school district requires the use of a Moodle, which we received training on the last week of August.   I have yet to see how I might organize this tool to help me be more efficient in the classroom.  I am looking forward to learning this new format of curriculum delivery and curation.

I will let you know if my plan works...

No comments:

Post a Comment